EXERCISE SUBMISSION & DISCUSSION

Exercise Submission & Discussion Post on the Blog

1. Create a new post (+New) and title it ‘Your name or id – Exercise’  (example: ‘Jen M – Texture Exercise’)
  2. Upload the  images of your finished weekly exercise to the course blog site. The image must be optimized for web viewing but look good enough to see all the details when viewed on the website. See instructions on how to do this here.  
  3. In a short paragraph or two, tell the class about any issues you encountered while doing this exercise, ideas you had, why you think it was successful or not,  anything you might try next time, etc.
  4. **Important: Check the appropriate category for this exercise.
  5. Then comment on at least one other student’s post for the lesson. Give both positive feedback and any constructive suggestions (see below criteria for appropriate exercise feedback).

Exercise Feedback Guidelines  (not for ‘Projects’)

There are Exercises for most lessons. Feedback is meant to be a  less formal than the critique that you will do on projects. Good feedback depends on positive and honest constructive criticism. Your instructor will not allow the critiquing to devolve into negative or hurtful attacks but it should also give advice for improvement and draw larger connections.

A good way to start your feedback is to say what you especially like about the piece. Be specific.  After covering what is successful in the work, go on to point out areas that could be improved. Try to frame your feedback with respect and with care for the artist’s feelings in 1-2 short paragraphs.

• is it creative?
  • does it communicate the message?
  • what does it remind you of? can you draw any connections?
  • does it follow the assignment requirements?
  • is the medium used effectively?
  • what is the overall “feel’ of the work–do you like it or not, and why?

Example:  

collage

I like this montage very much, especially the green inner glow effect of the clock face and the way Andrew Jackson’s eye is placed at the center. I also like the blue and green transparent washes applied over the coins. I see evidence of skill in using tools and techniques, including: selection, gradients, layers and layer effects, changing color (of the clock numbers), and more. The overall look of the piece is cool and, I believe, successfully evokes the theme–time is money. There’s only one thing that bothers me that I wish the artist had done otherwise, and this is the clash of borders: Jackson is in an oval outline, which is set over the clock’s round inner dial. I feel that the artist should have eliminated the oval and gone with the dial. Good work!