For this I used darker colors, I enjoy darker colors than the regular brightness. I went through the video tutorials and found that listening to the guy was a little hard, he spoke fast, though I liked going back through the videos and revisiting some of the concepts. The hardest part was to do all of this in order, but once I got ahold of it, it became rather easy for me to navigate.
The tools I never used before, Photoshop is very new to me, I have only used it a handful of times years ago. There is alot that can be done with Photoshop, it’s like an open sandbox that can be used for very specific tasks or just for playing around in, and that was what I kept running into. I wanted to go play! but it’s easy to get in beyond what I knew to do as different keys did all sorts of things that just confused the heck out of me as soon as I pressed them. Alot of shortcuts, alterations, frustrations…. At least there’s the command-z button.
I went kind of crazy with my color exercises. I wanted to really abstract my letters in the primary color exercise, which made it pretty chaotic. I made a bit of a mistake by trying to paint blue over yellow – I’m not used to working with these paints, and I expected the top layer not to show any of the bottom layer if it was darker. But some of my Ds are black, and some of my red turned a bit orangy.
I might add the photoshop exercise to this later. I expected it to be more straightforward, so I put it off longer than the other exercises. I don’t understand doing things in such a difficult fashion.
I think I might have miss understood the name portion of this project. I did have fun although I wanted to be more creative. Hopefully I will get better at painting.
I haven’t used acrylic paints on paper before, so I feel like I have a lot to learn with my consistency and mixing. I also used paints in my color wheel that looked like they fit the best, but I believe I would have been better off mixing some colors rather than picking the closest paint I could find. The exercise with the letters was pretty fun to come up with, I just wish I had done a better job of erasing my pencil color templates.
This color wheel is a failure. Clearly I misunderstood this color wheel thing because for some reason I thought we had to exactly copy the wheel that was shown on are lesson plan. Derp de derp turns out I could have done a lot more with this. My bad. As it stands this is not a good piece and it does not help that I, due to the lack of a scanner or a good camera. ended up snapping pictures with phone. As you can see the lines are terrible and mangled, the colors (especially on the red violet) look nothing like they should. I also should have taken into consideration the thickness of the pencil lines, as you can see them threw the paint (the yellow is in the biggest need of help). All of these problems could have been helped if I had given myself more time and checked again to see what the project guidelines were. Not to proud of this one
I do feel a bit better about this one on the other hand. The contrast is a bit dark, but I still feel that it mostly captured what I created. I was having fun trying to make it look as though my letters are on different planes of perspective from on another. I felt that this piece was mostly a success, though I have to say that I was not a fan of the color schematic or with that dip between the A and the e. I made a poor choice in colors there and tried to cover it up with blue. I didn’t turn out as bad as it could have, but looking at it now I feel there was still more I could have done with it. I liked how the J and the A turned out, I feel they are the most clear and precise, and work the best in this piece. I should have worked more with the c it is very one dimensional.
This was a fun exercise. Making consistent dark blue background was little challenging and did not turn out exactly how I expected, but the colors work nicely together.
I did this color wheel because I had problems trying to sketch out the triangle, and after my 2nd wasted paper I decided to freestyle it.
I wanted to do something a little different with the letters of my name.
Here are the two color RYB paintings! I loved learning about the color wheel, super interesting!
I’m not very happy with either of the end products of this project and, believe it or not, this is the second try on both exercises. With the color wheel my unfamiliarity with the use of acrylics is obvious. The color mixing went pretty well until I got to the violets, when I realized I may have used the wrong blue. I had already tried pthalo blue on my first attempt and when that didn’t work, ultramarine. Neither got me a good violet. My name project started out pretty well, then went steadily downhill, again, but I had too much time invested to bag it and start over yet again (not spoken like a true artist, I admit). I’m wondering if I may have invested in poor quality paints, though I’m really not using that as an excuse, I promise!