For this piece I used only three colors: purple, magenta, and a light red. No black or white was used in this,and it took me awhile to complete. I thought about the work as a nesting Phoenix, just about ready to burst into flames. It’s not as detailed as I would’ve liked, and the colors kept blending so I had to keep in mind the vibrancy of the colors as they appeared. Some of the colors I wanted to blend as well at certain areas, and others I wanted a clear definition of the line, so I played with the opacity of the paints by diluting as needed.
It was interesting as what I started out with was a blob that I knew nothing of how it would come out. I started with just a round thing, as I normally don’t even used purples or reds, I tend towards blues or greens, but I could come up with nothing for those.
The feathers took awhile to do, but with some layering it came together fairly nicely. I think the issues that bothered me the most were blending and layering, and repainting to get what I needed as I progressed towards the lighter colors.